Thursday, December 29, 2011

Blogging, being real, (not) shooting from the hip

So I look around me in the yoga blogosphere, and see that bloggers are coming up with posts to reflect on the year, or recollect the best 32 or 15 (or however many) blog posts of 2011. And so and so forth. Which is wonderful. More power to all of you hardworking bloggers who go to all the trouble to come up with such posts; I really mean this, I'm not being snarky or anything.

As for me, well, I just don't have the energy to do things like this. I'm kind of an in-the-moment, writing-things-on-the-fly kind of blogger: Most of the time (i.e. about 99% of the time), I don't know today what I am going to blog about tomorrow (and this is true of today as well; right now, I have no idea what I am going to blog about tomorrow). I am just not the kind of blogger who has, like, 5000 blog ideas running in his head at one time. Heck, most of the time, I have trouble even just holding on to one idea. Maybe this is a kind of rebellion against the super-structured academic environment which I am supposed to be a part of. I don't know; I'm not going to try to psycho-analyze myself here.

But I do try to do one thing on this blog. I try to write in a way that is real and not (or at least not too) fake. I don't pretend to be an authority on shit (because chances are I'm not). But I do always try to write exactly what is on my mind, in a way that does not offend (too many) people. If there is one phrase that captures what I aspire to, it would be: No bullshit, just tell it like it is. Of course, being the kind of person that I am, I seem to lack the ability to just shoot from the hip. Most of the time, you will find that whatever I write has tons of qualifications (ifs, buts, on the other hand, this being the case, etc.). But well, I am what I am, and it is what it is. As I say, I do my best.

I've always been a fan of the late George Carlin. I think he has this quality of shooting from the hip and telling shit like it is that I always admire, but can never quite emulate, whether in speaking or in writing. So I thought I'll end this post with a couple of clips by Carlin on--what else--bullshit. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment